The past few days I spent wrestling an address book server issue in OCS and I wanted to share the solution. The quick version: make sure you have your server side and client side hotfix revisions match up.
If you want the whole story…the specific details of this case involved a Front-End server which had the OCS 2007 R2 April hotfixes, but the MOC clients had the July hotfixes applied. The issue first manifested itself with clients reporting ABS damaged:
Communicator cannot synchronize with the corporate address book because the corporate address book file appears to be damaged. Contact your system administrator with this information.
We resolved this by deleting the entire contents of the address book file share and forcing a resync of the address book. We also deleted GalContacts.db from a few user workstations, but later found the client error actually disappeared on its own without removing the file.
Things hummed along nicely for a week or so until a large amount of users (600+) were enabled for OCS one Friday evening. The following Monday previously enabled pilot users were reporting they still didn’t have a SIP URI in their address books for the mass-enabled users. The GalContacts.db file was also still showing a timestamp from the day the mass change occurred, indicating they had not downloaded an update yet.
We took a peek at the Front-End logs and it appeared to be generating address book files correctly. The odd thing was in looking at the IIS logs we actually saw quite a few 404 errors of MOC clients trying to request delta files that did not exist. Other users showed successful downloads of the latest delta files which should have included the changes, but they weren’t being applied to their local GalContacts.db for some reason. I also saw those same clients registering a success end up using the fallback logic and downloading older address book files even though they had the newer versions. Very, very strange. Any client we deleted GalContacts.db on would pull down the latest full address book with no issues. The clients looking for deltas that didn't exist we probably caused by deleting the address book files previously.
Side tip when looking at the IIS logs: Full files start with F-xxxx and delta files follow a D-xxxx-xxxx naming convention. Also, .lsabs files are used by MOC while .dabs files are used by Tanjay devices.
At that point I noticed the mismatch in server (April hotfixes) vs. client (July hotfixes) versions and suggested we get the latest fixes installed on all sides. While that suggestion made its way through change control procedures we opened a PSS case with Microsoft to hit the problem from another angle. The engineer we spoke with immediately blurted out that we needed to match the hotfix versions as soon as we described the behavior. It sounded to me like this was one he had heard before or was familiar with so while we didn’t have a second approach this definitely helped accelerate the change control ticket to an authorized state. After we fully patched the Front-End using the new ServerUpdateInstaller (a lifesaver), applied the back-end database hotfix, and installed the client October hotfix the address book went back to functioning properly. There were a couple of users that needed to delete the GalContacts.db before everything went back to normal, but most of them picked it up without intervention.
As for root cause, the KB 972403 article actually does reference applying both the MOC and server fix together, but the July server hotfix document doesn’t describe this behavior or even mention it. Personally, I think the underlying issue was having the 3.5.6907.37 hotfix on clients while the abserver.exe file was still at 3.5.6907.0. In any case, I learned a lot more about the ABS than I ever cared to, but it was great information that will surely help in the future.